Meet our new Student Ambassadors on Friday
We have a new Student Ambassadors team on the Pueblo campus, and staff and faculty are invited to meet them this Friday, Aug. 1, at a reception that will be held 4-5 p.m. in the Barb Fortino Room.
Learn about high-demand electromechanical industry's need for skilled technicians PCC students and community members are encouraged to attend a recruiting event for electromechanical techniciand that will take place 2:00-3:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 30, in the Pueblo Workforce Center's Sangre de Cristo Room. Information will be provided about open job positions as well as training programs. RSVPs are required by calling (719) 562-3745. The Workforce Center is located at 212 W. 3rd Street.
Fremont-area community members can plot their career paths at Wednesday's FairCommunity members and all potential students can explore PCC's academic programs and resulting career paths at the Educational Pathways Fair that will be held on our Fremont Campus from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, July 30. This event presents a great opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the different programs PCC offers as well as about great career choices. This event also will include scholarship and prize drawings for those who attend.
Volunteers needed to assist students during the first week of PCC's Fall SemesterThe Info!Zone will be in operation again during the first week (Aug. 18-22) of the upcoming Fall Semester on the Pueblo campus, and volunteers are needed to help provide useful information there to both new and continuing students. Services include helping locate classrooms or offices such the ID and parking permit, printing out course schedules, and identifying advisors. IT-type help could include providing info on how to sign up for e-mail, log onto D2L, access the myPCC Protal or locate a Schedule Adjustment form. The Info!Zone will operate Mon-Thur from 7:30 to 6:00 and on Friday until 1:30 p.m. Consider volunteering however many hours you can give by going to the U drive and accessing the sign-up sheet that is contained in the Info!Zone folder.
Huge community food drive planned to re-stock PCC's Panther Student PantryThe Associated Student Government on the Pueblo campus has set a lofty goal for a massive food drive that it will be conducting during the entire month of August, and it is involving the Pueblo community as well. ASG is aiming to collect enough donations of non-perishable food items and personal hygiene products to amass 10 full car loads. The drop-off location on the Pueblo campus is at our Police Academy patrol car that will be parked near the center of campus crosswalk just off Orman Avenue from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday beginning Aug. 1. PCC students are urged to help ASG collect donations there and can volunteer by calling ASG at 549-3300 or by stopping in at the ASG officers in the Student Center. Anyone (students, staff, faculty) can donate products, and there will be these off-campus donation sites as well:
• Little Caesars Pizza at 1175 S. Prairie Ave. on Pueblo's South Side
• Walmart on Pueblo's South Side - 12-5 p.m. on Aug. 4, 13 & 15
• Rawlings Library - at the "Art Bash" from 2 to 4 pm. on Sunday, Aug. 10.
For more info, call 549-3300 or 582-7896. The pantry will reopen the first week of the Fall Semester.
Yes, some tutoring is available to PCC students this week in Learning Center & onlineThe Learning Center will have limited tutoring available Wednesday & Thursday for classes that are not yet completed. The limited tutoring hours will be offered through Thursday in the English Pro, Math Pro, Science Pro, and IT Pro areas. Check with the Learning Center for hours. Also, the on-line tutoring via NetTutor will be available until the end of the month. Students can access NetTutor via their D2L courses. Also check with the LC for online tutor hours.
Fall Semester tuition payments are due next week Wednesday, Aug. 6Registered students need to pay their tuition in the Cashier's Office by Wednesday, Aug. 6, or makepayment arrangements there. If the Financial Aid office can determine that a student should be receiving enough financial aid for the semester to cover the bill, the student may submit an Award Pending/Promissory Note Form to the Financial Aid office. The form is on the myPCC Portal under the "Student Finance" tab. Other key dates::
• Monday, Aug. 4 - PCC Bookstore charges begin
• Monday, Aug. 11 - FAFSA deadline for being able to submit an Award Pending Form
• Friday, Aug. 29 - PCC Bookstore charges end - last day you may charge your books to Financial Aid
• Friday, Sept. 12 - First refund date - First possible date students may receive any refundsfrom Financial Aid.
Students urged to check their PCC Foundation scholarship award status The PCC Foundation has completed its scholarship awarding process, and applicants need to log into their Scholarship Manager Account (as a returning user) and go to “Award Information” to view if they were awarded a scholarship for the 2014-2015 academic year. All scholarships must be accepted by this Thursday, July 31. If a scholarship is not accepted by then, it will be cancelled and awarded to the alternate. Questions should be directed to Bianca Flores at (719) 549-3314.
Three upcoming professional development opportunities availableThree professional development opportunities available to PCC staffThree free professional development opportunities are being offered to PCC staff beginning with the Venture to Learn: Finance Panel session from noon to 1 p.m. this Thursday, July 31, in Fortino Ballroom A. The other two events are:
• Friday, Aug. 8 – Defensive Driving Course, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Davis AB-090. It's free but limited spaces are available. Register through the State Department of Risk Management's website at:
• Friday, Aug. 15 – Venture to Learn: Work-Study Training for Supervisors, 12-1 p.m. in Hoag Theatre.
NOTE: No registration is needed for the two Venture to Learn sessions.
Notes • Flag football - Intramaural flag football sign-up is underway in the Rec Center through Aug. 26 for teams and individuals wanting to play this Fall. There will be a captains meeting at 4 p.m. Tueday, Aug. 26, in SC-241.
• Ask a Lawyer - The topic of this week’s "Ask a Lawyer" TV series will be the new judicial complex. Broadcast days and times on Channel 19 are: 7 p.m. Mon & Fri, 2 p.m. Tues & Thurs, 9 a.m. Wed & Sat, and noon Sun.
• Going green - Effective this Friday, Aug. 1, the PCC Cashier’s Office is going green, and all student billing will be available on the myPCC student portal. Check there for updates. Call 549-3212 with questions.
• "Promise" training - The next "PCC Promise" training session for new employees is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 7, beginning at 2 p.m. in Occhiato Theater. Register by sending an e-mail to Richie.Ince@pueblocc.edu.
Quote for the Day
“When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser