Fall Semester drawing near - time to get registered
It's time to quit procrastinating. The start of the 2014 Fall Semester on Monday, Aug. 18, is not far off, so it's time to
get registered for classes before the real crunch of enrollees/registrants begins.
Stop by and meet our new Student Ambassadors at 4 p.m in Barb Fortino RoomThe new PCC Student Ambassadors team has been busy with training the past three days, getting ready for the start of the 2014 Fall Semester and to start representing PCC. You'll have a chance to meet the 7-member team Friday afternoon (Aug. 1) when a reception for them will be held from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Barb Fortino Room. Come out and meet and get to know them, and explain to them what you do here at PCC. The Ambassadors are (from front to back) Jill Brown, Andrea Larson, Britteny Martinez, Elizabeth Megenity, Tayler Zinanti, Kristina Velarde and Jamie Thurston. Andrea and Jamie are beginning their second years as Ambassadors.
Food Drive underway to help replenish Panther Student Pantry for Fall SemesterThe Associated Student Government on the Pueblo campus will be conducting a food drive during the entire month of August to collect enough donations of non-perishable food items and personal hygiene products to amass 10 full car loads. The ultimate aim is to re-stock PCC's Panther Student Pantry. The drop-off location on the Pueblo campus is at our Police Academy patrol car that will be parked near the center of campus crosswalk just off Orman Avenue from 9-5 Mon-Fri beginning Friday, Aug. 1. PCC students are urged to help ASG collect donations there and can volunteer by calling ASG at 549-3300 or visiting the ASG office in the Student Center. There will be these off-campus donation sites as well:
• Little Caesars Pizza at 1175 S. Prairie Ave. on Pueblo's South Side. Donors here will receive a free order of Crazy Bread.
• Walmart on Pueblo's South Side - 12-5 p.m. on Aug. 4, 13 & 15
• Rawlings Library - at the "Art Bash" from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 10.
For more info, call 549-3300 or 582-7896. The pantry will reopen the first week of the Fall Semester.
Volunteers needed to assist students during the first week of PCC's Fall SemesterThe Info!Zone will be in operation again during the first week (Aug. 18-22) of the upcoming Fall Semester on the Pueblo campus, and volunteers are needed to help provide useful information there to both new and continuing students. Services include helping locate classrooms or offices such the ID and parking permit, printing out course schedules, and identifying advisors. IT-type help could include providing info on how to sign up for e-mail, log onto D2L, access the myPCC Protal or locate a Schedule Adjustment form. The Info!Zone will operate Mon-Thur from 7:30 to 6:00 and on Friday until 1:30 p.m. Consider volunteering however many hours you can give by going to the U drive and accessing the sign-up sheet that is contained in the Info!Zone folder.
Groundbreaking slated Tuesday for "Student Commons Addition" on Fremont CampusA groundbreaking ceremony will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 5, to officially kick off the “Student Commons Addition” project at our Fremont Campus. The 2,820-square-foot addition will be constructed on the east end of the campus off a main corridor. The space is intended for usage by student clubs, for student functions, and as a gathering area for students before and after classes. It also will be available for community events. The $798,000 project is expected to be completed in late December and available for occupancy by the Fremont Campus’ spring 2015 semester.
New employees invited to "PCC Promise" training scheduled Thursday, Aug. 7Another "PCC Promise" Training for new employees (faculty, staff, part-time instructors or student employees) will be held at 2 p.m. this Thursday, Aug. 7, in Occhiato Theater. A tour will be included, so please allow two hours to complete both the training and tour. RSVP to email@example.com. Attend this and learn what it means to live the "PCC Promise" every day. The tour will be a bonanza of useful information.
Be aware that Fall Semester tuition payments are due by Wednesday, Aug. 6Registered students need to pay their tuition in the Cashier's Office by Wednesday, Aug. 6, or makepayment arrangements there. If the Financial Aid office can determine that a student should be receiving enough financial aid for the semester to cover the bill, the student may submit an Award Pending/Promissory Note Form to the Financial Aid office. The form is on the myPCC Portal under the "Student Finance" tab. Other key dates:
• Monday, Aug. 4 - PCC Bookstore charges begin
• Monday, Aug. 11 - FAFSA deadline for being able to submit an Award Pending Form
• Friday, Aug. 29 - PCC Bookstore charges end - last day to charge books to Financial Aid
• Friday, Sept. 12 - First refund date - First possible date students may receive any refund from Financial Aid.
"Ask a Lawyer" to focus on new judicial complex, then cover family law & divorcePCC’s Center for New Media and the Pueblo County Bar Association are continuing theiir "Ask a Lawyer" weekly series on Channel 19, and the topic this weekend will continue to be the new judicial complex in Pueblo. Starting Monday, the topic will switch to family law & divorce. Weekly broadcast days and times are:
• 7 p.m. Monday & Friday
• 2 p.m. Tuesday & Thursday
• 9 a.m. Wednesday & Saturday
• 12 Noon Sunday
Register for Defensive Driving course offered thru state's Risk Management dept.These 2 additional professional development opportunities are being offered in August to PCC faculty and staff:
• Friday, Aug. 8 – Defensive Driving course, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Davis AB-090. It's free but limited spaces are available. Register through the State Department of Risk Management's website at:
• Friday, Aug. 15 – Venture to Learn: Work-Study Training for Supervisors, 12-1 p.m. in Hoag Theatre. No registration is needed.
Notes • Learning Center - The Learning Center on the Pueblo campus will be closed on Friday, Aug. 1, so that staff may attend a professional development event.
• Flag football - Intramaural flag football sign-up is underway in the Rec Center through Aug. 26 for teams and individuals wanting to play this Fall. There will be a captains meeting at 4 p.m. Tueday, Aug. 26, in SC-241.
• Going green - Effective this Friday, Aug. 1, the PCC Cashier’s Office is going green, and all student billing will be available on the myPCC student portal. Check there for updates. Call 549-3212 with questions.
Quote for the Day
“It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure."
~ Bill Gates