Desire2Learn Student Orientation
- PCC uses a course management system called "Desire2Learn". You will have access to an Orientation when you have logged into your Desire2Learn home page.
- Distance Learning courses involve either limited or no attendance at the campus, depending on the class.
Instead, these courses allow you to use a computer (at a place and time convenient for you) to access course content. In some cases, class meetings are conducted on the web as well. Your instructor may post examinations on the web or ask that you take them on site at the institution. These courses require Internet connection and specific browser settings.
- There are many advantages to distance education; two of which are convenience and the higher levels of self-confidence you will get from achieving goals on your own.
Your instructor will provide all the tools - readings, exercises, assignments and quizzes just like an on-campus class. Like an on-campus class you will get out of it what you are willing to put into it. You can expect to spend the same amount of time and energy on distance learning classes; actually, distance learning classes can take more time and energy than regular classes.
- The majority of college classes have separate orientations available on-line which students are required to read and complete at the beginning of the term.
- Other course offerings provide one-on-one (face-to-face) orientations sessions before the start of classes.
If you have never taken a Distant Learning course, this group of orientations can be extremely helpful in getting you off to a good start.
Top of Page